UPDATE – JUNE 30, 2020
Upcoming adjustments as we all get together to move forward:
- This Sunday, July 5, seating in the auditorium will be at the normal configuration as before, which should allow for more room to social-distance and spread out than the current every other row provides. (For example, this past Sunday we saw people clustering at the back of the auditorium.) The over-flow in the Education Building is discontinued. However, the “mask-only” area in the Chapel with the service live-streamed will still be available.
- Children’s Sunday school classes will not be meeting except on July 26. At this point, we are hopeful that the weekly schedule can resume on Promotion Sunday, August 16. Please consider how you might serve in the Children’s Ministry—several more teachers and helpers are needed ranging from serving each week; to every other month; to once every six weeks (email@example.com).
- The Student Ministry (7-12 grades) will continue to meet in the gym for Sunday Bible study.
- Adult Bible Fellowship classes are returning to their original Sunday classrooms (with the exception of Glory Bound who will continue meeting in the Chapel for now) as current attendance would not compromise distancing in most rooms.
All-Church Prayer Time, July 5, 5pm in the Chapel: “Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer” (Romans 12:12). Join us for an hour of prayer, seeking the Lord through the lens of Scripture Sunday, July 5th.
Heritage Retreat October 16-18: The retreat provides an opportunity to step back from our normal routine and take a deep breath as we enjoy the beauty of God’s creation and spend time with one another. Join us for this church-wide get-away at the New Life Ranch in Concord, OK (pick up a brochure at the Welcome Center). Register online by July 6; $15 deposit per person is due by Aug 16. Contact Shawn McGill with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not currently receiving church-wide emails from Heritage and would like to please let us know HERE. You can also stay informed thru our Facebook and Instagram by clicking the icon buttons on the top right of this page.
How Can We Help
Please let us know how we can serve you. Several within our church family are eager and ready to talk, pray, deliver groceries and medication, etc. Please don’t allow social distance to lead to spiritual isolation. We are called into a community, a family, a Body—may we be humble enough to ask for encouragement and support and may we be loving enough to eagerly meet the needs of those in our community. Contact us at HERE or by calling (405)720-1449.
How to Prepare for Online Worship
- Treat Sunday morning with the same priority you always do.
Let me encourage you to get up, have breakfast, silence your phone, grab your bible, notebook and pen. If possible set aside Sunday mornings at 10:30am to worship with us. If that time simply does not work, purpose to set aside another specific time.
- Engage in each part of the worship service.
Yes, even the singing. It may feel a bit odd at first, but crank up the volume and join in. Sing when we sing, pray when we pray, read when we read. Help your children to participate as well. When there is preaching, listen as attentively as you always do. Do not just watch…engage!
- Gather your family or household and worship together.
This is an incredible opportunity for the heads of households to gather the family, and lead out in worship. This is not “every man for himself.” Instead, this is a time for God-centered, Christ-exalting leadership. Lead your household well!
- Don’t expect it to be the same as being in person.
It’s not supposed to be. We are so grateful for the technology that enables us to worship together online, but it is not a replacement or substitute for gathering with God’s people in person. We are relational beings and technology can certainly help us connect in some ways, but the intimacy we are called to must go beyond that when at all possible. Let’s be grateful for online worship, but let’s long for the time when we can be together face-to-face.
- Worship through giving.
In the midst of apparent instability and uncertainty let me encourage you to continue to praise the Lord thru generous and cheerful giving with a desire to expand the kingdom and minister to others in need. Let us live as if we truly believe that we are simply stewards of all that we have received from the Lord. You can give online at heritageokc.org (“Giving”) or by mailing a check to the church office. If you need further assistance or if you are in a season of need, please let us know how we might serve you by emailing or calling (405)720-1449.